TpT Store

Monday, March 14, 2016

The Sound of Science

I LOVE SCIENCE and I love teaching it as well. My students today were engaged in an activity that demonstrated their understanding of Sound Energy. After a short instructional video, some academic conversations, and a brainstorming activity, the students were able to produce pictures that portrayed sources of sound in our everyday lives.  

My only suggestion to the students was to think about the object they were drawing and how it produced a sound. For instance, just by looking at this alarm clock, I wouldn't be able to tell what it was doing to make sound. So my student drew the bells at the top and a "Ringgg!" to go along with his picture.

This picture is a perfect example of what I wanted my students to demonstrate. She drew a horse - but the horse just standing there doesn't make a noise. She drew the horse "neighing" which showed me the exact sound the child was thinking about. 

Ah, the sound of the noisy car horn. Again, a car parked and vacant wouldn't make noise, and not only that - but a car makes many noises. Here, the car is honking; one of the many noises this student could have demonstrated!

All I can say is HILARIOUS!  The wonderful thing about this student's work is that at the beginning of the year, he was a non-English speaking student - Chinese actually. He has picked up so much English and is now making complete sentences. Though he can't read or write many things yet, he was able to complete this activity without any assistance and it made me proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment